Monday, January 29, 2007

Steven-Johnson's Syndrome...or Possibly Johnson-Steven's Syndrome

Lana's allergic reaction to the sulfa medication was somewhat more serious than we originally thought. In addition to the large, red, itchy lumps, her mucous membranes were bleeding and it was not a good situation. She can never have any sulfa drugs ever again. The doctor called the reaction a Steven-Johnson's Syndrome reaction. Or vice versa. I'm somewhat too tired to recall. She was hesitant to give her any other antibiotic at this time, but, fortunately, her urine was "clean", so, she (the doctor) seemed to think the bladder infection had cleared. I mentioned the crying in her sleep, and the doctor said, "Well, she was in a lot of pain. She probably felt like her skin was crawling off."

She has been on Benadryl round the clock and seems to be feeling better. She slept all last night which is a huge bonus. Gabriel slept with me in the front room, because he is having some kind of nighttime anxiety - he says he is afraid of something but he doesn't know what (oh, I don't know, perhaps afraid that his parents will leave again for 3 weeks and come back with a whole human being??). He did go right to sleep once I laid down with him, and, at the moment, the only thing that matters to me is that everybody sleeps. (Adding to our exhaustion, poor David has some kind of flu - chills, fever, achiness, etc. No fun.)

Somebody tell me I'll feel like a regular human being someday soon,
Gretchen

10 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

can your dr prescribe Lana some zyrtec? It works much better than benedryl for our girls and doesn't have any weird stuff.

I do hope things settle down. And I hope you get some rest and normalcy soon.

Jan 30, 2007, 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

That's a bad reaction. I hope the benadryl clears it all up. And I hope the UTI is really gone.
And I am here to tell you that YES you will feel like a regular human being again... it doesn't happen as fast as you'd like, but it will happen. (and all these illnesses are definitely making things harder for all of you!)

Jan 30, 2007, 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger helen said...

I did a computer search on Stevens Johnson Syndrome~SJS technically is an immune complex- mediated hypersensitivity(allergic) condition. There seems to be 3 forms of SJS. the lesser form of the conditon is Erythema Multiforme with a more severe form called SJS and 3rd a most severe condition called Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.It is a conditon commonly caused by an allergic reaction to drugs Like antibiotics (penicillin & sulfa's) and some over the counter pain relievers, such as:motrin, ibuprofin, Childrens motrin & advil.~~helen Check it out http://www.mediafact.com/sjs/

Jan 30, 2007, 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger Space Mom said...

I remember this is related to ibuprophin too....

Hope she feels better soon!

Jan 30, 2007, 1:34:00 PM  
Blogger thecurryseven said...

I second Christina's post that you WILL feel like a regular human being again...but it does take time. I'm so sorry there has been so much sickness in your house. But it is such a good thing that you caught Lana's reaction as soon as you did.

Jan 30, 2007, 2:38:00 PM  
Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

The flu, weird serious reactions, anxious nighttimes. What could possibly be more fun?!? You poor thing. of COURSE it will get better soon!!!!!!!!!

Jan 30, 2007, 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Oh I just love you. I am sending you so many thoughts hoping that all of these waves pass quickly. How are Gabe and Lana getting along? When does she start kindergarten? I just have so many questions. But I am holding off calling you b/c I know you have so much going on. Thinking of you and hoping that Dave's head is out of the toilet...

Jan 31, 2007, 4:02:00 AM  
Blogger juliesfamily said...

Poor Gretchen, I hope you all feel better soon, and things find a quiet normal routine in your home.

Here's to feeling better.

julie w

Jan 31, 2007, 4:24:00 AM  
Blogger David Graham and Harriet Warnock-Graham said...

Aside from the exhaustion and the allergies, I hear from Stace, that Lan has a significant amount of backbone and is emphatically, and cheerfully, making a place for herself among the cousins. You definitely got a good one! I'm very exited about meeting her when I get to Ohio in March.

From the sounds of things, you and Dave have done a fabulous job of getting Lan ready for integration into the extended family.

I would seriously suggest that you keep a bottle or two of cava to enjoy when things are um...3 dimentional. You do like champagne, don't you?

Jan 31, 2007, 1:53:00 PM  
Blogger xiarmeni said...

see a healthcare professional...save life!

riza M.D.

Oct 9, 2007, 11:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home