Tuesday, January 16, 2007

She loves to do the dishes...

Lana has spent the last 25 minutes washing the dishes. She is very serious about this activity, and obviously has been carefully trained in the art of dishwashing and conserving dish soap (she actually will wipe the soap off the nozzle/dispenser of the dish soap, before pouring any new soap into the sink.) She won't watch television, but, she'll quietly wash dishes. To say that this feels odd to me would be an understatement. (Neither David nor I slept well last night, so, we are both tired and needing her to amuse herself for a few minutes. I did not expect dishwashing would be the answer...)

Holt called us late last night and said they were moving up our medical exam and visa interview. They were supposed to happen on Friday, but, instead are happening today (Wednesday the 17th). Conceivably we may be allowed to fly home on Friday - if we can get flights. My sister is communicating with our travel agent to see what can be done. I want to come home.

Lana woke up in the middle of the night last night, around 2:00 AM. I wouldn't say she was awake, actually, she was calling out in her sleep. What she was calling was, "Ba! Con ga!"

As near as I can tell, I have determined two sensible possibilities for this - either, "Daddy! Fish!" or "Daddy! Police!"

Any other thoughts on what that might have meant??

More later,
Gretchen

6 Comments:

Blogger KelleyO said...

Lana is sure an interesting little person. Good news about your interviews! I hope you can find earlier flights home.

Jan 16, 2007, 9:34:00 PM  
Blogger helen said...

Grethen & David, On a positive note: Things are looking so much better for all of you. And what a wonderful break that your visa interview was moved up to a sooner date. Now lets get this Friday "on the road" or should I say, "In the air"?!(Thanks for taking me on your journey.) Stay Safe. Helen

Jan 16, 2007, 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

A four year old who does dishes! I'm impressed. I love the picture of her at the sink.

That's an awesome timeline if you can get a flight out of there. I know you are missing your Gabe!
~Michelle

Jan 17, 2007, 4:33:00 AM  
Blogger S. said...

I hope everything goes smoothly and you get a flight!
My 6 yr. old used to love to do dishes, too--of course it was different, because these were her play dishes and didn't actually need to be washed...and she certainly didn't conserve any soap!
Lan sounds like quite a character!

Jan 17, 2007, 4:58:00 AM  
Blogger David Graham and Harriet Warnock-Graham said...

Lan is a natural for Montessori. It sounds like she has been taught Montessori style. Each task is taught thoroughly and the task is not done until everything is properly put away for the next person's use.

Jan 17, 2007, 8:08:00 AM  
Blogger Jana Van Buren said...

You know what you call it when your child is entertained by something for that amount of time -a blessing! It seems like God knows when we all need a little break and gives us moments like this. Take care!

Jan 17, 2007, 9:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home