Thursday, January 25, 2007

Silent Night

What a difference a good night's sleep makes.

I took a nice long nap yesterday afternoon, and woke up around 7:00 PM. Evidently Lana passed some of the time while I was asleep WASHING THE KITCHEN CUPBOARDS. David said she was very happy while she washed the cupboards and sang her little song that she sings about "Bak Ho"*. She is particular about cleanliness and Vietnamese nationalism**, this new child of ours.

We ate some scrambled eggs with cheese and toast for dinner, and then we had Gabe show Lana the joy of a bubble bath. Lana watched with interest as Gabe played happily in his tub of bubbles. Then, I took Gabe out of the tub, drained the tub, and put fresh water and bubbles in. Lana stood in the tub and handed me a stacking cup from our tub toys and motioned that I should pour water over her with it. Sigh. It seems it will be some time before she enjoys a bubble bath, or perhaps she will always prefer to bathe this way. I can't complain - she's clean and this way seems to make her happy.

After baths I tried to get Gabe and Lana to eat some yogurt for snack before bed. I was reading them two books, "The Napping House" and "From a Railway Carriage" - and trying very hard to keep Lana's attention on the reading. (Her foster mom said she liked to be read to, so, I am hoping that once she has a better handle on English that she will enjoy being read to in English, as this is one of Gabe and my favorite activities together, and it would be nice if she would join us without a fight.) Gabe ate all of his yogurt and Lana barely touched hers. When Gabe said, "mommy, I want more yogurt," Lana turned her head to him with a shock of surprise in her eyes. I swear it was an "a-ha" moment for her. (I remember having such "a-ha" moments myself in France and later in Japan, when I realized that someone had said something to me and I had understood it without having to consciously think about translating it. Lana is too young, probably, to be consciously translating, but, I do think it was a moment when she heard the words and understood their meaning and that it was a pleasant shock for her.) She picked up her spoon and carefully got a bite of yogurt and put it in Gabriel's mouth. Then she proceeded to feed him the whole dish of her yogurt. I wish I had pictures!

After books and snack, I put both kids in Gabe's bed and I sang "I'm in Love with Big Blue Frog" and "Be Thou My Wisdom" and Lana helped me tuck Gabe into bed. Then, I put her in her bed, and she lay down, but, she cried until I laid down next to her. Ten minutes later she was out, and I crawled into my own bed, only to find Gabe snuggled up next to David. Too tired to argue, we all fell asleep. At some point Gabe must have gone back to his own bed, because I woke up at 5:30 this morning feeling more like my own self than I have in weeks. Gabriel slept until 7:45 and Lana slept until 9:00 and things feel like they are looking up.

Gretchen

* and ** - I'm not sure what to make of Lana's earnest devotion to Ho Chi Minh (Bak Ho). My main concern is that it is not the kind of thing that will endear her to the Vietnamese community here in the States (please correct me if I am wrong about this), and that I will find myself at a something like Lunar New Year or Autumn Moon Festival Event with a child yelling, in Vietnamese, "Bak Ho is Vietnam's Savior" to a crowd who will not find that even a little bit cute. I'm really not at all sure how to address this matter.

I do have to share this one story, though, which I find hysterical: When we arrrived at the Incheon International Airport in Seoul, South Korea, Lana had her first glimpse of Kentucky Fried Chicken. (There are very few American restaurant chains in Vietnam, I did not see a single McDonald's or Burger King or anything of that sort. With the exception of Coca Cola, I really saw very few American products.) Anyway, we are walking through the airport, dead tired, and Lana sees the KFC and the picture of Colonel Sanders and she starts jumping up and down, excitedly yelling, "Bak Ho! Bak Ho! Ba! Look! Bak Ho! Bak Ho!". So, yes, my daughter thinks the king of fried chicken is Uncle Ho. What are we to make of that??

G

9 Comments:

Blogger maxhelcal said...

Oh my goodness....that is SO CUTE!!!!! (esp. Lana feeding Gabe the yogurt) I wish I could get my kids to clean my cabinets! LOL She seems like she is such a wonderful little girl. IU am so happy for you Gretchen.

~Michelle

Jan 25, 2007, 11:37:00 AM  
Blogger David Graham and Harriet Warnock-Graham said...

Dear Gretchen, I suspect that anyone with a mite of sense is going to recognize that a child of Lan's age had nothing to do with her reverence of Bak Ho and that said reverence is more like a reverence for santa claus than as some kind of savior. If anyone says anything, you might point out that at least she is not a 30 year old jingoist...just sayin, but you know me. By the bye, are you or David planning to learn to cook Vietnamese. We'll be by for dinner!

Best love,
Aunt Harriet and Uncle Ho. (David like to died laughing when I told him)

Jan 25, 2007, 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

wow. she cleaned your cupboards? what a gal! I think over time, as she picks up on English and acclimates to american culture, the reverence and singing to "Uncle Ho" will cease on its own. She has gone through so many major life changes lately, its probably best to let that slide. It obviously brings her comfort and security, not to mention it provides her some continuity between her life in Vietnam and her life with her "new" family.
besides, if she thinks Colonel Sanders is Uncle Ho, its obvious that she doesn't really "get it" lol

Jan 25, 2007, 1:41:00 PM  
Blogger Space Mom said...

Sounds like cleaning is very soothing to her. Let her go at it.

That's great that she understood Gabe...
Any more photos????

Jan 25, 2007, 1:52:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

there were a bunch of KFC's in Vietnam ... and there's t-shirts at the markets of Colonial Sanders looking very Vietnamese. I'm guessing that's where Lan got that idea from. ;-)
About the singing... in the first couple weeks with Zeeb he would sing and chatter a lot in Vietnamese, but it faded pretty quickly. I mean, he still speaks Vietnamese but not like at first. And he *loves* Elmo and Pooh and sings those songs now. So I'm guessing that song will be replaced by a new one in no time.

Jan 25, 2007, 2:26:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

What a wonderful moment it must have been when Lana understood what her big brother was saying! And like the others said...I'm sure she will find a new favorite song quickly. Like an annoying Barney song or something. ;)

She seems like such a sweet girl. I will keep you all in my prayers!

Jan 25, 2007, 6:20:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

All hail the Colonel!

Jan 25, 2007, 7:14:00 PM  
Blogger helen said...

Gretchen, glad you are HOME! What wonderful stories. And please "Uncle Ho" looks like the Colonel Sanders?Great! Because I agree with Kelly on that issue. Besides, she may grow up thinking he's sooo Wonderful because he makes great chicken dishes. lol ~~helen

Jan 26, 2007, 6:46:00 AM  
Blogger Django Sexton said...

This reminds me of a poem by Te Hanh. It's called "Under Moonlight the Baby Sings."

Moonlight floods through the window.
The baby sees the moonlight and sings to herself;

Her song's first words: Uncle Ho Chi Minh.
Her cheeks, pink with moonlight

~~~
The rest of it is about the war, but the singing image resonnates!

ds

Feb 7, 2007, 10:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home