Thursday, January 11, 2007

I know what mouse poop looks like...

Not for nothing did I grow up in a farmhouse built in 1901. I KNOW what the poop of a standard house mouse looks like.

And despite the efforts of the hotel staff to tell me that is what I found ON MY BED TABLE and ON MY BEDROOM FLOOR and ON MY COMPUTER TABLE this morning...these droppings are from something significantly larger than a mouse. I've been researching rodent droppings for the past half an hour and I am pretty sure it came from a Norway rat or a Ship rat. (Question - if the Norway rat originated in central asia, why is it called a Norway rat?)

I am NOT CALM about this. I am entirely NOT CALM or COOL or COLLECTED about this. It would be an understatement to say that I FREAKED THE HELL OUT.

This is a NICE HOTEL. Wealthy ex-pats live in this hotel year round. However, it is under extensive renovation and we are the only people on the 8th floor. Suffice it to say we are moving. As soon as possible. Definitely before dark.

Why is my life so plagued by rodents? Bats in my old house, now this!

On the bright side, Lana is acting like a normal four year old, so, we have that to celebrate.

Gretchen

8 Comments:

Blogger KelleyO said...

Ewwwww!!!!! I hate rats! Run away!

Jan 11, 2007, 8:06:00 PM  
Blogger asiantreasures said...

Oh, Gretchen--the only thing I can't stand as much as I can't stand spiders is MICE!!!!!!!!!!! or rodents, in general. I'd move, too! And, my husband is contemplating the "Norway rat" living in central Asia--that probably means he's hoping to see one when we're in VietNam so he can see exactly what it looks like.

Hooray, Lana--you act like a 4 yr. old & mom & dad will know you're settling in for good.

Sheri, David, Micah & Noah--in DaNang

Jan 11, 2007, 8:08:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

It really is a nice hotel... and I can't believe the rat made it to the 8th floor! SOOOO sorry, and I hope they give you a super nice new room to make up for it!!

Jan 11, 2007, 11:12:00 PM  
Blogger Brubaker Bunch said...

Yuck!!! I would be totally freaked out!!! You are definitely having quite the memorable trip!! Are changing hotels or just rooms?

So glad to hear that Lana is doing better.

Jan 12, 2007, 12:40:00 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Sorry to hear about the rodents. Glad to hear Lana is doing better.

Jan 12, 2007, 2:44:00 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Don't worry about the rodents. Just a little extra thing for you to snuggle up to when you are asleep...

Glad Lana is feeling more comfortable. How are you liking being parents to a girl?? Must be so much different.

Jan 12, 2007, 4:09:00 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Oh my, MOVE!! Mice freak me out, but rats are in their own category!

Jan 12, 2007, 6:10:00 AM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

Quinton came home with a bag of those shrimp cunchies puff thingies! He loved them! I guess it's an aquired taste! I am praying I don't get your old room....we are staying at the same place! :-)

Things are looking good for you with Lana! So happy about that!Love you Gretchen!

~Michelle

Jan 13, 2007, 3:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home