Monday, January 08, 2007

We have Lan

We had the going away party at the orphanage this morning.  Lan was visibly shaken and sad.  She ate only yogurt at the party.  After the party, the staff insisted on feeding her an enormous bowl of what looked like oatmeal with chunks of meat in it.  (I really didn't want them to do that, I was terrified she would throw up on us when we tried to leave.)
 
We got a taxi (ourselves and one of the other Holt families who is adopting) and returned to the Hotel.  Lan sobbed most of the way to the hotel, but, she stopped crying right before we arrived.  Hoa (the Holt social worker) told us it was the children's nap time, so, we took them to our rooms.  Lan laid down on the bed with me, and took a nap and cried a little.  When she woke up, she laid on the bed and watched us very intently.  After some coaxing she accpted her new clothes and we got dressed for the Giving and Receving Ceremony. 
 
We have just come back from the G&R.  She was very good during the long ceremony and quietly ate a tangerine through the whole thing.
 
We are going to go out now to the grocery and try to find some boxed milk (like Capri Suns, but, milk.  Evidently, she likes that.) 
 
Our flight tomorrow has been changed to very early in the morning.  We will leave DaNang at 8:00 AM and arrive in Hanoi at 9:15, so, we will not be able to Skype home at 8:30 tomorrow night as we will be flying.  Tell Gabe we love him so much and miss him so much,

Love,
Gretchen
 

16 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Congrats!! We can't wait until we get to meet Lan. This is such a huge transisition for all of you. It will be fine. It will. Again, she is so lucky to have found her family.

Jan 8, 2007, 4:24:00 AM  
Blogger KelleyO said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Jan 8, 2007, 5:17:00 AM  
Blogger KelleyO said...

Gretchen, I'd love to talk with you when you come home. We are adopting an 8 year old boy. I'd love to talk to someone who had recently BTDT. I love how easy and gentle you are being with Lan.

Jan 8, 2007, 5:25:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

I'm sure the transition won't be the easiest process, but I know you are so happy to finally have her with you. Congratulations!

Jan 8, 2007, 6:44:00 AM  
Blogger asiantreasures said...

Bless her little heart! She's YOURS & will continue to settle in as she adjusts & grieves. She's precious...thanks for sharing your journey!

Jan 8, 2007, 6:52:00 AM  
Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

Yay! You are Lana's mama!!! Congrats! It was a LONG time coming - I'm so happy for you! I know she will adjust beautifully. It sounds liks she is already well on her way.

Jan 8, 2007, 8:02:00 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! She is all yours... I know it will take a while for that to sink in (for all of you) but it's true and every moment together will draw you a little closer. It sounds like you are doing a really good job nurturing her and allowing her to grieve... the first few days might be hard but I bet you'll see her smile in no time.

Jan 8, 2007, 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger jamielvis said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you guys and it sounds like Lan is adjusting. How are you and Dave doing? I can't imagine the rollercoaster of emotions. We can't wait until your all home!

Jami, Doug and Lilli

Jan 8, 2007, 11:35:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I have been terrible about posting lately, but you and your family have been in my thoughts often and I am so thrilled that you have Lan with you!

Jan 8, 2007, 2:30:00 PM  
Blogger maxhelcal said...

Gretchen,

I have been telling everyone here all about you and their hearts go out to you and Lana. It is so difficult but you are strong and I believe Lana is too. It's sad how something wonderful can also hurt so bad. Praying for the time to pass and things are brighter!

~Michelle

Jan 8, 2007, 5:38:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

Aw...the congee. Kinhly loved that stuff for about a week and then she was all about french fries. You can find the congee on the room service menu. Usually they serve it in pork or beef "flavor".
I'm so glad to hear that things are working out! I can't wait to hear more and see PICTURES!

xoxo

Jan 8, 2007, 8:02:00 PM  
Blogger helen said...

Gretchen, thank you for sharing your journey. My Michelle is correct when discribing you as kind, witty and funny.May I add: patient. *Love is Patient. Congratulations ~ you are a wonderful Mommy and Lana is a treasured Daughter. ~~~

Jan 8, 2007, 8:51:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your journaling will fix all of this in your mind.

Have a safe trip home.

I pray for Lan. It must be exciting but so scary for her.

You are giving her the greatest gift of all - Your unconditional love as a parent. How wonderful for her as she comes to know that she is your daughter.

I hope we may properly welcome her at St. Paul's.

Peace,

Dave Watts
St. Paul's

Jan 8, 2007, 11:28:00 PM  
Blogger Space Mom said...

Hi GW-

I lost the link and I am just catching up. I am sorry this is so hard on Lana. I know this must be hard for you all.

Sending love and hugs....

SM

Jan 9, 2007, 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger mohnschaff said...

We are very excited for you and can't wait to meet her. Just think how far you have come and where you were a year ago. It all gets better from here.

It's all good!

Rick just missed your Skype.

Love,
Rick and Meagan

Jan 9, 2007, 2:52:00 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I'm so very thankful to you for sharing your journey. I can't wait to hear more about Lan. You are in my prayers!

Also, I read your post on the Holt bb's and you can use plain ol' Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) for motion sickness. :)

Jan 9, 2007, 4:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home